Despite the fact that it has been my number one for as long as I can remember, I feel the need to write that this is my current favorite. I haven’t tried out every massage option there is, so even though it may be small there is still a chance that my favorite might be replaced.
Hot stone is one of the most soothing massages you can get, if it is carried out properly. The feeling of hot lava stones that glide over your skin is almost indescribable, it has both immediate as well as long term effects and is one of the best things I know when I feel out of balance.
How is a hot stone massage carried out?
The way to perform a hot stone massage varies somewhat, but usually hot lava stones are placed on the body’s “key points” while the therapist uses massage techniques with and without the stones. Typically these stones are smooth, often are basalt stones used, which get their smooth texture because they have been eroded from the water. As the stones are so rich in basalt, once warmed through, they retain their heat for a long time, making them ideal for prolonged massage sessions. It is fairly common to say that a hot stone massage can be compared with a Swedish massage, only with the assistance of the hot stones, which, incidentally have a fantastic satisfying effect on the body and mind.
The benefits of warm lava stones
The use of hot stones in massage has several potential health benefits, here are some of them:
- Relieves pain – the heat has long been known to be used against muscle pain, as it increases the blood circulation in the affected area. The heat can also help with muscle spasms and joint pain.
- Eases stiffness, tightness, soreness and tension – the therapist will be able to reach deeper in the muscle tissue, as they soften up with the heat, making the massage more productive.
- Reduces stress and anxiety – once the warmed stones come into contact with your skin they will instantly have a calming effect, that will help you relax and alleviate your stress levels. Hot stones placed on specific trigger points will alleviate symptoms of stress and similar mental health conditions, making you feel calmer and more relaxed than ever before.
- Improved flexibility – the hot stones provide anti-inflammatory benefits that help to improve mobility and general movement in and around the joints, thus increasing your flexibility in the process. This will especially be soothing and beneficial to those with conditions such as arthritis or painful joints in general.
- Increases quality of sleep – according to studies hot stone massage has been proven efficient for insomnia patients, making them fall asleep in a deeper and more relaxed state.
Please NOTE that not all hot stone massages are carried out equally, and that there is no requirement of education to perform this type of massage. Always do research before you visit a salon and ask about their certificates before booking a treatment. If you have a fever, a cold, had surgery recently, a sunburn, have high blood pressure or varicose veins, you should avoid this type of massage. Hot stone massage is not necessarily particularly comfortable if you are pregnant.